I am having a lot of fun these days with new projects. Last week I finished Cora's Daddy-Daughter Dance outfit and entered it into a Valentine craft project competition at Craftsy (I love competitions!!). I also finished the A-line skirt for the mother-daughter pair and made the prototype of a new clutch wallet I'm developing. An exciting week! This week looks good, too, as I continue to work on the clutch wallet, design a "corsetted" pencil skirt for Diane, and get ready for Skirt Party #2 on Saturday.
If you remember, this is the fabric that the daughter picked out for her A-line skirt:
The print is from Brandon Mably's 2009 Scales collection (more on his designs later in the week). I made some 1/2 inch double-fold bias tape from it so that I could use it as trim on the hem and pockets. G liked it so much that we used it for the waistband as well. What do you think?
The clutch wallet still needs work so I won't post any pictures yet, but I'm making it from upholstery fabric scraps and swatches. Beautiful fabrics and a nice way to repurpose materials bound for the dump! Once I get it worked out, I'll post the instructions as a free tutorial.
I got the idea for the corsetted skirt from an Ann Taylor design. Here's the original:
I love the seaming detail on this. It's a simple embellishment that adds a lot to the finished look. I've enjoyed the problem-solving that has gone into reverse engineering this skirt. I got some help from my friends at the SewWeekly and I'm excited to see how the draft version of it turns out. Like with the wallet, I know that the first version won't be it but it will get me there in the end!