I think Carol did a stellar job using the fabric print on these first two skirts.
This second skirt is Lisa H's gored a-line using some kind of stretch drapey twill I bought from GorgeousFabrics.com. Because the skirt has six panels, we knew we couldn't match up the print across the seam lines or we'd run out of fabric (I had three yards, but it was only 42" wide and the skirt is long). Carol and I took a look at the fabric together to figure out how best to use the print, and Carol came up with the diagonal idea. When she went to cut it out, she didn't have enough fabric to continue doing this across that back, so genius struck and she reversed the direction for one panel. Nice, huh??!
This last one took me a while to figure out how to draft. Lara wanted a pencil skirt with a front pleat, but I didn't want to do panels because the wool had a somewhat looser weave, and I was worried about it getting all stretched out of shape. I spent a good hour or so reading through the Adele P Margolis book, Make Your Own Dress Patterns, and finally came up with the ideas of inserting a side pleat that ran from the top of the skirt to the bottom, that is sewn shut until about 7 inches up from the hem. The pattern piece looks kinda crazy:
|with pleat un-pleated (disregard length difference between two halves)|
|with pleat pleated|
The lovey wool fabric is from a haul I bought from a woman selling off her stash (thank you, Craigslist!). I've had this lovely button (from the Eonomy Shop) in my stash for a couple of years now and I'm glad it finally found it's place. I knew there was a reason I didn't use it earlier!
Finally, I'm happy to report that Mooper eventually decided that she likes her birthday dress (she wore it three days in a row until I insisted that it needed a wash).