6/4/12

What's Up: New Dress, New Service!

I mentioned in my last post that I made a new dress for myself.  It's a Simplicity 2580 in jersey fabric that I bought from EmmaOneSock.com. I love this pattern!

Pinned Image


I made version C but I omitted the sleeves:


It came together easily with my serger - I think from start to finish it took about 4.5 hours, and this includes the time it took to trace the pattern and cut the fabric.  I cut the fabric as I sewed so that I wouldn't have to deal with too much curling, but the fabric stayed quite flat so I probably didn't need to do this.  Going down a size from my measurements was about the right fit and the only adjustment I made was the take in the dress at the center back seam so that it hugged my back waist a bit more.  One of the details that I like about this pattern is the use of a loop to go from a cowl neck (version B) to a v-neck (version C).  Like this:



I was also interested to see how the cowl neck was constructed - it's actually a doubled piece that mirrors itself.  After it is cut you simply fold it in half to make the front bodice.  This gives a bit more coverage in the front and also eliminates the need to finish the front neckline.

I didn't match the print across seams on this one but I did try to be intelligent about how I cut it out so that the print would blend.  I plan to make this again as a top and I think I'll try the halter version (E & F) as well.  I like that this pattern makes a great boppin' around dress but would also work well as a sexy cocktail dress.  I've already got one order for this dress from a client and a second is thinking about making the plunge!

I tried something new this week in working with a client.  Bryn ordered two skirts earlier in the season (see here) and was feeling a bit unconfident about matching them with her existing tops.  So I offered to come over and go through her spring/summer clothes to see what we could find.  So on Saturday afternoon Bryn cracked open a bottle of wine and I had her try on skirts and tops and dresses.  I was looking for three categories of clothing: 1) pieces that were due for retirement, 2) pieces that could be mixed/matched differently, and 3) pieces that needed help before they would work.  I only found one thing in the 1st category for Bryn (a drab Ann Taylor skirt that had lost all shape) but we found lots in category 2 and 3.  Like most people, Bryn isn't just one size, so she has lots of tops that need to be taken in at the waist so that they fit better.  She also had a great Boden dress that somehow made her look matronly.  But when we adjusted the shoulder, it suddenly looked sexy!

I've been doing this alot lately with my own wardrobe - altering for size or altering for style.  It's a great way to cheaply breathe new life into your closet.  I think everyone has pieces in their wardrobe that they've been hanging onto because they love them even thought they don't quite work.  I love the fun of thinking creatively about these pieces so that they can be fulfill their potential.

This week I'll be finishing off Denise's skirts and Catlin's summer wardrobe.  I also plan to start Ann Marie's skirts once the fabric (finally!!!) arrives.  I've got some reinforcements coming in to help with the girls (thanks, Dad!) as I have a lot I want to get done before my vacation on the 18th.

Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...