3/24/14

Vogue 8379 in Black & White

This is my third make of Vogue 8379 this year, and I've got a fourth and fifth already in the works (one for a client, one for me). This is heading towards a record, although it hasn't got there yet!

This dress was for my client Diane. I couldn't get a shot of her in the finished dress as we did a quick exchange while I was teaching a lesson, but I have some nice dress form photos.



This fabric is an ITY from GorgeousFabrics.com, called Wibby-Wobbly-Webby Jersey, and there's still some in stock. My first two versions of this dress were made from ponte knit, so it was different to sew with something thinner and much stretchier. I don't think I really changed anything in the making of it, except to be be very carefully that I wasn't stretching the fabric up to my machine (I have a table for my serger and I elevated the fabric to reach my Pfaff workhorse).

I did change some aspects of the construction, mainly in adding a lining to make the fabric less sheer and less likely to give away every bump. I used a knit tricot lining that I also purchased from Gorgeous Fabrics sometime in the last 18 months.



I debated with myself as to how best to attach the lining since it wasn't quite as stretchy as the ITY. For the bodice, I attached the lining at the neckline, waist, and sleeve hem. I attached the facing after all of this was in place. I was worried about the sleeve bagging, so I tacked the lining and the main fabric at the shoulder and underarm - we'll see how this works and I may need to re-work it if Diane has trouble. I added clear elastic to the shoulder and waist in order to stop the dress from drooping.

For the skirt, I attached the lining to the main fabric at the waist and at center front, after hemming the lining separately. I folded the skirt facing over the lining and topstitched it in place.




I was worried that the white lining might peek out at the side seam tie slot, so I attached the lining to the main fabric here with a fell stitch.


I like Diane's version so much that I plan to make a black and white version for myself!

One of the nice things about having made this dress for a couple of people is that I now have a little library of bodice muslins in different sizes. When another client contacted me last week about making her a version of this dress, it was easy to figure out what adjustments she would need. I've found that the biggest issue with this dress is the waist placement so that the bodice hugs the body in the correct way. I think the pattern runs a bit short in the bodice, although for Diane's dress the original waist placement was spot on (she is high-waisted).

If anyone is considering this pattern, I'd encourage you to make it up. I've now made it for both straight and curvy figures and it looks good on everyone!


9 comments:

  1. That's so pretty! I do think you need one for yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely dress that is going to be so useful for many occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie! I think black and white is a great background for lots of fun accessories. I think I'll be wearing mine with red shoes . . .

      Delete
  3. The print is nice and you'll enjoy this pretty dress for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress! It would be difficult for me to part with a dress so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I'm glad that she has a higher waist than me or I might have stolen it back!

      Delete
  5. Pretty! I added a tricot lining to a maternity wrap dress I made and I had trouble with the lining sliding out of the slot in the side seam. Smart idea to stitch it there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...