4/4/12

What's Up: Vogue 8764 muslin for Linda, More work in the Knit/Jersey Laboratory

Greetings!  I'm a bit behind this week with my computer work due to non-sewing matters, but I'm excited to show you what I've been up to lately.  Last week my main project was putting together a dress muslin for Linda.  I played around with the darts on the bodice a bit and ultimately decided to leave them right where the pattern placed them (but figured out some things about moving darts, so I don't regret the time).  The muslin fit almost perfectly so I should be able to finish up Linda's dress before the weekend.  Here's the pattern I'm using:

Pinned Image
Vogue 8764

For those who are interested in trying out Vogue 8764, I like that the pattern has multiple cup size options.  I also appreciated that the finished garment measurements were given on the pattern pieces (although not on the back of the pattern envelope which would have been even more helpful).  I went down a full size and this ended up being almost perfect for Linda.  I'm learning that the finished garment size is much more useful in determining what size pattern I want to make.  I generally find that the pattern companies add more ease then I (or my clients) really want in a garment.  Peggy Sagers discusses this in a number of her free webcasts and her Silhouette patterns only give the final garment measurements.  Peggy's take on this is: Why would you measure your body when that's not the size you want it to be?  Measure your clothes.

I drafted the pattern for Bryn's first skirt and I'll show that off in next week's post.  I learned a new trick for matching up the print over a seam and the fabric that Bryn picked out is perfect for this.

I spent a good amount of time in my knit/jersey laboratory this weekend.  My current project is making a cowl neck jersey top for myself, and I want it to look like this:

Pinned Image
Phase Eight Carla Cowl Neck Jersey Top, Chilli from www.johnlewis.com

I'm using the shell from Silhouette Pattern #195 as a starting point and I've been working on how to adjust the neckline.  You have to add both length and width to the neckline to get it to drape correctly, and I've now drafted the thing three times.  I finally got it right Sunday afternoon and then found I didn't have enough of the cheap jersey fabric I wanted to use as my muslin.  Grrrr.  So instead I whipped out a version of the Dolman Style Top with Banded Bottom Tutorial I posted about a while back.  I didn't add enough ease to this, but at least I had something I could wear by the end of the weekend!

I'll have more pictures of finished projects to show next week.  I hope you all have a wonderful week of Spring weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...